Buttermilk is a common summer beverage with excellent cooling properties. Loaded with several nutrients, buttermilk is often used to deal with stomach issues as it is incredibly light and good on the taste buds. Though it is one of the staple food items found in most households, people are unaware of its healing properties, and when applied topically, it helps maintain healthy skin and hair.
You can team up buttermilk with several other ingredients that are readily in your kitchen to make its face and hair mask, exfoliating scrub, natural cleanser, etc. You can apply it to the desired areas and benefit in the following ways-
- Buttermilk is exceptionally beneficial and widely used to naturally treat marks, spots, blemishes, and discolouration of your skin. This can be attributed to the presence of high lactic acid and alpha hydroxy acid in it.
- Applying a paste of crushed and dried orange peel, buttermilk powder, and water twice or thrice a week can show visible results by speeding the elimination of spots and marks within a month.
Reduces tanning and sunburn
- It is just a matter of a few minutes for buttermilk to effectively reducing tanning, sunburn, and sun damage.
- Additionally, massaging the paste made of fresh buttermilk, raw organic honey (in 3:1 ratio), and a whipped egg not only gets rid of the uneven tan but also makes your skin more rejuvenating and glowing.
- While sunburn can be effectively cured by applying a mixture of cold buttermilk and fresh tomato juice on the affected area of your skin.
Offers rejuvenated and glowing skin
- Loaded with milk protein and lactic acids, buttermilk is the best option to rejuvenate and enhance the texture of your skin naturally.
- When combined with gram flour and turmeric powder, buttermilk can provide you with smooth and naturally glowing skin.
Cleanses and cools your scalp
- Being an effective cooling agent, buttermilk masks are in popular demand to provide a long-lasting cooling effect to the scalp.
- Whether in liquid or powdered form, buttermilk can be used with various other ingredients to make hair masks that do the work efficiently.
- A common hair mask for cleansing the scalp includes some buttermilk powder, olive oil, raw honey mashed banana, and an egg (depending on your hair density).
Treats dandruff and strengthens hair follicles
- Applying and massaging a mixture of buttermilk and lemon juice directly on your scalp is the best and easiest method to get rid of scalp itchiness as well as dandruff.
- It is also the best natural remedy to strengthen your hair follicles and impart a natural shine, when applied with fresh coconut milk on your dry hair.
Therefore, buttermilk is the best natural home ingredient with cleaning enzymes that help to clean, tone, and moisturize your skin and hair. Moreover, its benefit is that buttermilk is suitable for all skin types and treating all skin and hair issues.